Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Google Sheets

For class this week, we had an assignment to experiment with Google Sheets by following a set of directions. At first I felt that it was somewhat confusing. I was easily able to average all the students, etc; however, figuring out the graph seemed hard. BUT, once a classmate showed me how, it was actually fairly easy and I think I will be able to remember it in the future. I think this would be a great visual and easy way to make charts and graphs of students scores, etc for not only the teacher to see but the students (if listed anonymously). I could see myself continuing to familiarize myself with this and possibly using it in my future classroom!

Google Sheets Project




Analyzing the data:

I am more of a visual person so having the charts made of the scores made it much easier for me to see trends and how each student did versus themself and their peers. From looking at the data it is nice to see that each student has improved from test 6 to test 10. As an instructor that would be a great accomplished goal. There are a few students; however, that you can tell from the chart that went down in score after test 7 and test 9. Even if it is only a couple of students, as an instructor I would look at the tests for the future and see if any modifications were necessary, especially if each test was "supposed to" get a bit more challenging than the last. One thing that I really liked about Google Sheets and analyzing these test scores was that it was extremely easy for me to see when students made a dramatic increase or decrease in test score, and allows the teacher to see each student individually and versus their peers.

1 comment:

  1. Indeed, charting is great because it's much easier for everyone to 'see' the data come alive and observe the trends and patterns, versus buried in the original data table.
    You may want to practice this a few times to 'deepen' the skill of basic spread sheeting so you'll feel more comfortable in the future.
    Job well done.

    ReplyDelete